The FALCON 030 LAN Port of MYSTERY
Barry
2013-04-20 19:34:56 UTC
As long as, I've had a Falcon 030, I've looked for software to make use of
it.

Wether connecting two Falcons together with the Lan ports (if possible).

Or using the LAN for connecting to the Net.

Is the Falcons LAN Port Bugged? Or is it just lack of software?

IIRC, the Modem software STalker, can make use of the LAN port.

ALL, this problem seem to begin with the Falcons bugged modem port.

I have HSmodem7 installed, but dont know, what is set for the LAN port,
as most of the doc I have is in German. And at the time, there wasn't any
translators around.

I was wondering, if anyone reading this group, has some good knowledge of
the Falcons LAN port.

I'd like to know what software (if any) is out there to make some kind of
use
of this port.

Also, can someone send me HSMODEM7 with English Docs, OR the necessary
files to make the most of the modem port and Lan Port. I am using STing
1.26.

I have 2 Centurbo II B versions, and 3 Falcons with small upgrades, but no
major
Processor upgrade. I recall, the CT2B really rocked on the NET, back in the
Modem
Days.

Now, I have a collection of various Routers that work, but I have no way to
connect to
my Falcons. Although, I found a interesting Cable, that I can connect a
Router to any Atari
ST-Falcon. I'm going to experiment with it and see what happens.

Also have a collection of those PC ethernet boards.

Is there anyone making a device so I can connect my Falcon or other Atari to
a regular Router?

And does anyone know any tricks, to get a Router connected to a Falcon and
actually get online
with it, without trying to hunt down hardware that doesn't seem to exist.

I was going to do sometype of Null Modem to my Laptop, Or another option I
know about,
but that's really not what I need. I can always download software to a CD
and then put it into
one of my Falcons CD drives.

I may go back to the old 56K Dial up. The CT2Bs were not that slow anyway.
I have some ideas in mind, so I may be able to come up with something on my
own.

***@suddenlink.net

***@suddenlink.net
Adam Klobukowski
2013-04-21 06:00:06 UTC
Post by Barry
As long as, I've had a Falcon 030, I've looked for software to make use of
it.
Wether connecting two Falcons together with the Lan ports (if possible).
Or using the LAN for connecting to the Net.
Is the Falcons LAN Port Bugged? Or is it just lack of software?
None of the above. Falcon LAN port is in fact RS-432, also used in Apples for AppleTalk. It is fully functional, but it is not compatibile with ordinary (RS-232C) modem hardware. You need an adapter which my be hard to come by today.

To make matters even more intresting, there is even one more RS-323C port "hidden" inside every Falcon - there is hardware and it works, but there is no socket connected to it. Some brave souls connected it themselves, and it worked.
Post by Barry
IIRC, the Modem software STalker, can make use of the LAN port.
ALL, this problem seem to begin with the Falcons bugged modem port.
I have HSmodem7 installed, but dont know, what is set for the LAN port,
as most of the doc I have is in German. And at the time, there wasn't any
translators around.
HSmodem7 is a bit buggy. If you use FreeMiNT, use FreeMiNT serial drivers instead. Read FreeMiNT docs, there is some explanation about Hsmodem7. I remember seeing english docs for it, so search FTP sites carefully.
Post by Barry
I was wondering, if anyone reading this group, has some good knowledge of
the Falcons LAN port.
I'd like to know what software (if any) is out there to make some kind of
use
of this port.
Any software that allows selecting that port. But you will have troubles finding proper cables.
Post by Barry
[...]
There are three options.
NetUSBEE (for any ST/TT/Falcon) - I do not think anyone produces it atm., but all specs are freely available, and you may be lucky to find it on ebay. (http://hardware.atari.org/netusbee/netus.htm). This guy: http://lotharek.pl/ is gearing up to produce it if there is enough intrest.
EtherNAT (for CT60) - daughterboard for CT60 (http://nature.atari.org/)
SvETHlana (for SuperVidel) - daughterboard for SuperVidel, which is daughterboard for CT60, which is daughterboard for Falcon :). Soon to be released (http://nature.atari.org/)
Post by Barry
And does anyone know any tricks, to get a Router connected to a Falcon and
actually get online
IMO, software-wise FreeMiNT is your best option.
Post by Barry
with it, without trying to hunt down hardware that doesn't seem to exist.
I was going to do sometype of Null Modem to my Laptop, Or another option I
know about,
Null modem is a good idea. One word of advice: running it at half of maximum speed might be better then at maximum speed. Reason is, Falcon RS-232C hardware is unbuffered, and if Falcon is to slow to recive byte from it (which often happens when you run at 114200baud speed, and it does not work reliable with that speed. 56600 baud is much more reilable (and because of obscure technical reasons) faster when doing TCP/IP over it.

AdamK
Steve Stupple
2013-04-23 16:25:34 UTC
Post by Barry
with it, without trying to hunt down hardware that doesn't seem to exist.
I was going to do sometype of Null Modem to my Laptop, Or another option I
know about,
Null modem is a good idea. One word of advice: running it at half of
maximum speed might be better then at maximum speed. Reason is, Falcon
RS-232C hardware is unbuffered, and if Falcon is to slow to recive byte
from it (which often happens when you run at 114200baud speed, and it
does not work reliable with that speed. 56600 baud is much more reilable
(and because of obscure technical reasons) faster when doing TCP/IP over it.
AdamK
I have my falcon connected using etherNEC via Ethernet to my routers. Can
FTP fine etc, got a problem getting cab running.

As I was moving my Ataris around, so that they are more accessible, I
noticed the mega ste has the same AppleTalk port. There are quite a few
cables on eBay for the port, seems to be lots more cables for everything
USA side of the Atlantic. Anyway got myself an AppleTalk cable so can now
play with the port. So in theory I can connect falcon n mate together.

Steve
Barry
2013-04-24 00:56:22 UTC
Post by Steve Stupple
Post by Barry
[...]
Hey Steve,

thats something I'd like to try as well. At the moment my MSTe is in
storage
utill I get my other equipment setup the way I want it.

It's not all that important for me to connect my Ataris to Routers and etc.
as I use
them for only a few things. Although I have tons of software on drives, CDs
and
disks. Same with 8-bit, Got to set that system back up for a project.

But if I can find the right hardware, or do it myself then I would like to
set a few of them
up.

I think I can still do the old modem dial up around these parts, if so I may
go that route
for a while, I miss tinkering around :)

Barry out,
x***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2013-05-12 17:51:07 UTC
Post by Barry
I have HSmodem7 installed, but dont know, what is set for the LAN port,
as most of the doc I have is in German. And at the time, there wasn't any
translators around.
Steve Sweet and I translated these years ago. I have mailed you a
copy.
Ronald J. Hall
2013-05-13 20:48:14 UTC
Post by Barry
I have HSmodem7 installed, but dont know, what is set for the LAN
port, as most of the doc I have is in German. And at the time, there
wasn't any translators around.
Steve Sweet and I translated these years ago. I have mailed you a copy.
Hey, can I have a copy was well? Thanks!
--
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
An Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org
Barry
2013-05-17 19:09:39 UTC
Thanks for sending the copy.
I was expecting a zip file, it looks similar to what I use
to so with DiskCom or something.
I think I can get the file out of it.

BTW, I found some interesting items that I bought but haven't tested.
One is a RS232 Serial Port to EtherNet Port. No power supply and small.

The other item is a Serial to EtherNet port which has more electornics in
it.

So maybe I can use these to do something.
Barry

BTW, I was reading the other day on how fast the standard MIDI Baud Rate is.
Some hardware upgrades like the Centurbo II B, have a connection to the
MIDI chip.
Does this increase the speed of the MIDI ports?

Reason I ask, I have 2 different MIDI kits which basically connect one
machine to the other.
There was suppose to be a LAN kit like this with software, But I haven't
been able to find it.

I would like to get the software, I'm not sure if the kit just used a cable
or something else.
The MIDI kits both have a Box for each machine with midi cables coming out
of them.
One kit is connected by a Coaxial wire and the other seems to use a standard
telephone wire.

I have original software for the one of the kits, think it's the one that
uses the Coaxial Wire.
The other kit, not sure it has no name on the boxes. However I have found
some early MIDI
Software regarding connecting Ataris to transfer files and etc. Not just
Music.
I started testing, and got some good results. But went on to other things.

I'd like to find some LAN software, something I've not found. I do have a
few Lan cables.
One connects to a modem, One is just a straight connection. I don't know if
something like
a Null Modem Cable applies to the LAN port? Or if I need software to
transfer files, if I
connect 2 Falcons together with a Lan Cable. I'm not sure what to expect
when there connected?

LAN to EtherNet seems logical to me, as the LAN port is suppose to be pretty
Fast anyway,
if my info is correct.

Barry