Cubase and noise
Guillaume Tello
2014-01-01 09:06:00 UTC
Hello,

Happy new year to all.

I'd like to use a TT or Mega STE to drive a drum box near my musical
environment : so I need a quiet machine!

Is it safe to remove the PSU fan of the TT/Mega STE ?

How many RAM is required by Cubase ? I can imagine to work from a
RamDisk and stop the Hard drive (seconde source of noise) with the
accessory "Stop and Lock".

Of course, the Ultrasatant could be a solution, but for now, I don't
have the money to buy one and am looking for a "free" solution.

Can a TT/Mega STE boot from a ZIP SCSI ?

Thanks for your advices,

Guillaume.
Helmut Karlowski
2014-01-12 22:54:47 UTC
Post by Guillaume Tello
I'd like to use a TT or Mega STE to drive a drum box near my musical
environment : so I need a quiet machine!
Is it safe to remove the PSU fan of the TT/Mega STE ?
Depends on what you have inside it and the temperature in the room it's
standing.

A Matrix-card gets quite hot, a Crazy Dots not.

I have a quite recent Fujitsu-SCSI in the TT which does not make much
noise, but needs extra cooling (also silent with a simple resistor ~8V).

I've removed the PSU completely and use an old external AT-PSU whose noise
you hardly hear. A better solution might be to install a control for the
speed of the fan.

Without PSU, HD and any card a TT should run without cooling.

-Helmut
Arachide
2014-01-18 15:50:17 UTC
Post by Helmut Karlowski
Post by Guillaume Tello
I'd like to use a TT or Mega STE to drive a drum box near my musical
environment : so I need a quiet machine!
Is it safe to remove the PSU fan of the TT/Mega STE ?
Depends on what you have inside it and the temperature in the room it's
standing.
A Matrix-card gets quite hot, a Crazy Dots not.
I have a quite recent Fujitsu-SCSI in the TT which does not make much
noise, but needs extra cooling (also silent with a simple resistor ~8V).
I've removed the PSU completely and use an old external AT-PSU whose
noise you hardly hear. A better solution might be to install a control
for the speed of the fan.
Without PSU, HD and any card a TT should run without cooling.
-Helmut
I don't have the graphic card installed,
an old SCSI HD, that's all.

But, using my setup, I noticed that I play loud enough, so the computer
noise is not a problem anymore.

Guillaume.
Arachide