GNU/GCC 3.3.6
Francois LE COAT
2021-03-11 21:00:04 UTC

What about proposing a complete ATARI development system, based on
GNU/GCC 3.3.6 ? The GNU/GCC community has almost abandoned the m68k
processor target. We will probably have to migrate to llvm/clang
system if we want to develop for ATARI compatible computers, further ...

Personally I can't use GNU/GCC more recent version than 3.3.6, to
build my ATARI software. And I'm probably not an isolated case ...

We need a free reference ATARI system development kit, that would
allow building all software, including historical devels like mine :-)

The ATARI devels, and system software are not evolving in a good way !
Because it is based on evolution of GNU/GCC, that neglects m68k target.

Best regards,
--
François LE COAT
Author of Eureka 2.12 (2D Graph Describer, 3D Modeller)
http://eureka.atari.org/
Francois LE COAT
2022-06-05 13:45:15 UTC

Is EmuTOS portable on CPU x86 and the ATARI VCS platform, where it
is originating, since there is GEM on the Amstrad PC 1512 thanks
to Digital Research ? The ATARI VCS is a well defined architecture,
that allows to boot many different operating systems. Why not EmuTOS ?

Thanks,
http://eureka.atari.org/
Vincent Rivière
2022-06-06 06:57:15 UTC
Post by Francois LE COAT
Is EmuTOS portable on CPU x86 and the ATARI VCS platform, where it
is originating, since there is GEM on the Amstrad PC 1512 thanks
to Digital Research ? The ATARI VCS is a well defined architecture,
that allows to boot many different operating systems. Why not EmuTOS ?
Indeed, Digital Research GEM sources were originally written for x86. EmuTOS
used them on 68000, and filled the gaps with a new BIOS for Atari ST, and a
lot of adjustments. Current EmuTOS sources only support 68000/ColdFire
processors. Porting it to a new CPU would require to rewrite the assembler
sources, and define a new API for user programs. Such OS would not run 68000
Atari programs, unless some emulation layer is provided.

So this is unlikely to happen.
Vincent Rivière
Francois LE COAT
2022-06-07 14:00:22 UTC
Post by Vincent Rivière
Post by Francois LE COAT
Is EmuTOS portable on CPU x86 and the ATARI VCS platform, where it
is originating, since there is GEM on the Amstrad PC 1512 thanks
to Digital Research ? The ATARI VCS is a well defined architecture,
that allows to boot many different operating systems. Why not EmuTOS ?
Indeed, Digital Research GEM sources were originally written for x86.
EmuTOS used them on 68000, and filled the gaps with a new BIOS for Atari
ST, and a lot of adjustments. Current EmuTOS sources only support
68000/ColdFire processors. Porting it to a new CPU would require to
rewrite the assembler sources, and define a new API for user programs.
Such OS would not run 68000 Atari programs, unless some emulation layer
is provided.
So this is unlikely to happen.
I'm a EmuTOS user, and I'm not involved in its developments... But
isn't it the goal of EmuTOS, to be available on as many hardware
configurations as it is possible ? It is being ported to the ARM CPU

<https://github.com/kelihlodversson/pTOS>

and it would be appreciated on newest ATARI console indeed. It only
contains 12% of assembly language according to the GitHub WEB site.

There's many different x86 hardware, and many different ARM hardware,
but the ATARI VCS is a unique one, and I suspect it would be simpler
porting EmuTOS to a well defined architecture like the VCS. I'm sure
it would be welcome by the ATARI new developers and new users =)

Don't you think so ?

Best regards,